23 Resume Tips for 2023
Hiring and employment remain somewhat unpredictable. Recent job reports share that new job creation has slowed. There have also been a lot of layoffs in certain sectors. But it is not all doom and gloom. The unemployment rate remains steady; anything is possible in the year ahead.
Regardless of how you feel about your current job or if you are looking for a new job in the new year — it would be wise to have your resume ready. The following 23 resume tips for 2023 can be an excellent starting point.
Every quick tip below links to another source so you can fully explore the topic.
Remember, you are unique, so your resume will be too. Apply what works best for your situation, career, and industry.
Happy job searching and resume writing in 2023!
23 Resume Tips for 2023:
- Pick out a job target before you start to write the resume
- Know yourself, know your audience, and know what matters most
- Customize content for every job – general resumes don’t work
- Make your value known
- Use a tailored resume header that speaks to the job you want, not the job you have
- Avoid common resume myths
- Be strategic with how much career history you share. 10-15 years of recent employment detail is typically sufficient
- Highlight top career achievements and provide the proof
- Focus on achievements, not tasks, in your resume. Yes, everyone has results to share
- Start strong. The top 1/3 of the file is critical
- Lead with results and front-load points throughout for greater impact
- Let the resume be storytelling in nature
- Weave the right keywords throughout the file that relate to the target role and audience
- Use an active voice with lots of action words
- Employ a bit of strategic design to emphasize key content and make your resume look unique
- Include appropriate white space; make it easy to read
- Remember, content is king, but presentation matters too
- Use strategic content to address employment gaps
- Remove any possible resume red flags to help improve application success
- Increase emphasis on soft skills –– but be sure to be specific and share examples
- Ensure the resume look and strategy aren’t ageing you. Use a modern approach
- Aim to keep your resume updated. Often!
- Stay abreast of current resume trends and best practices
Side note: I have been producing this list of top resume tips for the past 3 years. Last year, my post was the number one read article of CareerWise Weekly.