24 Resume Tips for 2024
Yet again, we enter another new year with some hiring and employment uncertainty. Will layoffs continue, or will they start to cool? Will more jobs be created, and will hiring increase? Only time will tell. Regardless of how you feel about your current job or if you are looking for a new job in the new year — it would be wise to have your resume ready. The following 24 resume tips for 2024 can be an excellent starting point.
Every quick tip below links to another source so you can fully explore the topic. This year, I’ve added several new tips to the list (and removed a few, too). If you are an avid reader of my annual resume tips list, see if you can spot the changes.
Remember, you are unique, so your resume will be too. Apply what works best for your situation, career, and industry.
Happy job searching and resume writing in 2024!
24 Resume Tips for 2024:
- Pick out a job target before you start to write the resume
- Know yourself, know your audience, and know what matters most
- Customize content for every job – general resumes don’t work
- Write your resume for the reader. No, the resume isn’t meant for you!
- Make your value known
- Use a tailored resume header that speaks to the job you want, not the job you have
- Avoid common resume myths
- Use the right resume format for your unique career
- Be strategic with how much career history you share. 10-15 years of recent employment detail is typically sufficient
- Highlight top career achievements and provide the proof
- Focus on achievements, not tasks, in your resume. Yes, everyone has results to share
- Start strong. The top 1/3 of the file is critical
- Lead with results and front-load points throughout for greater impact
- Let the resume be storytelling in nature
- Weave the right keywords throughout the file that relate to the target role and audience
- Use an active voice with lots of action words
- Include appropriate white space; make it easy to read
- Remember, content is king, but presentation matters too
- Remove any possible resume red flags to help improve application success
- Embrace your experience and don’t let age define you
- Increase emphasis on soft skills –– but be sure to be specific and share examples
- Aim to keep your resume updated. Often!
- Stay abreast of current resume trends and best practices for 2024
- Finally, be mindful of how you use AI in resume writing (yes, it could help, but it can also hinder)