21 Resume Tips for 2021
Let’s face it, 2020 was hard. If you are heading into 2021 looking for work, or simply wanting to keep your resume fresh and ready for anything (highly recommended!), these 21 bite-sized resume tips for 2021 can help.
These 21 resume tips for 2021 are designed for quick reference and easy application. Each tip links to another source so you can fully explore the topic.
Remember, you are unique so your resume will be too! Apply what works best…for YOU!
21 Resume Tips for 2021:
- Pick out a job target before you start to write the resume
- Know yourself, know your audience, and know what matters most
- Customize content for every job – general resumes don’t work
- Make your value known
- Use a tailored resume header that speaks to the job you want, not the job you have
- Consider how ATS (applicant tracking system) will read your resume. Research how ATS works
- No need to list all career history. 15 years of recent employment detail is typically sufficient
- Highlight top career achievements and provide the proof
- Focus on achievements, not tasks in your resume. Yes, everyone has results to share
- Lead with results and front-load points throughout for greater impact
- Let the resume be storytelling in nature
- Weave the right keywords throughout the file that relate to the target role and audience
- Use an active voice with lots of action words
- Employ a bit of strategic design to emphasize key content and make your resume look unique
- Include appropriate white space; make it easy to read
- Content is king, but presentation matters too
- Use strategic content to de-emphasize any employment gaps
- Remove any possible resume red flags to help improve application success
- Ensure the resume look and strategy isn’t ageing you. Use a modern approach
- Add pandemic career wins to your resume. Employers want to see how you managed, adapted, and succeeded last year.
- Stay abreast of current resume trends. The file is constantly evolving and you need to keep up with modern strategies!