20 Resume Tips for 2020
There is a wealth of resume tips and best practices that professionals can employ to raise the value of their resume in 2020.
However, no two job seekers are exactly alike; therefore, what works for one person’s resume may not work for another.
Truly, the best resume tip of all is that there is No One Way to Write a Resume!
These 20 bite-sized resume tips for 2020 are designed for quick reference and easy application. Each tip links to another source so you can fully explore the topic. Apply what works best…for YOU!
20 Resume Tips for 2020:
- Pick out a job target before you start to write the resume
- Know yourself, know your audience, and know what matters most
- Customize content for every job – general resumes don’t work
- Make your value known
- Use a tailored resume header that speaks to the job you want, not the job you have
- Consider how ATS (applicant tracking system) will read your resume. Research how ATS works
- Provide examples of how the application of your skills resulted in positive outcomes
- No need to list all career history. 15 years of recent employment detail is typically sufficient
- Highlight top career achievements and provide the proof
- Focus on achievements, not tasks in your resume. Yes, everyone has results to share
- Lead with results and front-load points throughout for greater impact
- Let the resume be storytelling in nature
- Weave the right keywords throughout the file that relate to the target role and audience
- Use an active voice with lots of action words
- Engage modern, well-suited design components
- Include appropriate white space; make it easy to read
- Content is king, but presentation matters too
- Use strategic content to de-emphasize any employment gaps
- Remove any possible resume red flags to help improve application success
- Ensure the resume look and strategy isn’t ageing you. Use a modern approach
- Keep abreast of resume trends because this important career tool is always evolving!